March 1, 2012

Logo Design #5


I've noticed that I've gotten into a script phase. The thing with creating logos with script fonts, you need to be very careful in terms of application. The logo needs to remain legible while still maintaining its elegance. With this particular logo design, the script still holds strong with very little distracting ligatures. The only thing that I would adjust would be the leading between the C and the R ... seems a little tight and given a little more space, might give the logo better appeal.

This is another logo form that I've come to like lately ... the seal form of design. This seal of approval works to convey trust and tradition. It is also this form that mostly appears in circular form. It is through this means that most logos are produced and seen as the most appealing. I really like the vintage look of logos and the ability to play with shape. In this particular case, the logo above conveys the symbolic nature of the the ship building business. Using a serif typeface enforces the traditional and historic connotations. As well, the use of traditional blue and white colours works to further the desired feelings for both the business and the identity.


Another area that I'd like to explore would be to expand my illustrative techniques. This logo is a prime example of what I'd like to create for further designs. The contrast of thick and thin lines on the envelope and wings gives more humanity to the design and makes it less rigid. Having the colour (white) not restricted to the lines that surround it make it more real and playful. Although I love the illustrative envelope, I'm not entirely sold on the selected typeface for 'wingo.' Its lines are not linear but still, comes off rather bold as opposed to the finer image placed next to it.

The colours are what drew me to this logo. They're warm and appealing, much like the product that the company is selling. Although I do like the use of the serif typeface, I wonder what this would look like with a sans serif typeface. The typeface seems a little too heavy against the delicate nature of the pie silhouette. It becomes distracting and I feel, takes away from the desired meaning of the brand.

I absolutely love the redesigned logo for DC Comics. Depending on the character that the logo is being applied to, the peeling off paper and 'C' change and reflect the personality of the hero himself. The simplicity of the design works well to be adapted depending on its application. The revamped logo works to represent the entire DC community and through its design, does it amazingly well.


This playful logo is always one that I look to for inspiration. It's design works well to