February 21, 2011

Thinkin' ahead

So we have to design a DVD cover for a Hitchcock film and having seen this particular poster, I immediately thought of Saul Bass ... the gentleman who design a number of title sequences for some of Hitchcock's most popular films. Seeing this reminded me of "Vertigo," and could work very well for a cover design. Playing with the text and the silhouette of a man could fully illustrate the significance of the film. I'm not sold on the colour scheme above but that's something I could work on for my DVD cover. Brown and black don't always work well together and I think in this case, it doesn't. I think this really gives me something to work with for my cover. Although I wanted to stick to some of his lesser known films, designing a cover for "Vertigo" would be pretty cool to do.