January 16, 2011

The one you always come back to ...



I always come back to this commercial. Every once in awhile, the thought of it comes back into my head and without fail, always puts a smile to my face. I saw this particular commercial at the Cannes Advertising Festival last year and have always referred to it as one of the coolest commercials I've seen. I'm not a big animal lover, but this commercial just goes right to my heart. It's creative as hell and filming this must have been incredible. Man, if I had money to burn ... taking non-flying birds hang gliding ... who wouldn't?!

I tend to enjoy commercials that aren't necessarily about the product but rather, focus on making the audience think. Stepping above the usual "show and tell" of most commercials, ones that allow the audience to see the humour or emotion, to me, gain a far superior reaction from audiences. Creativity is at the core of design, no matter the medium. Challenging your audience shows effort and thus, deserves my attention. It is commercials such as this one that make me not change the channel or mute between my program.