January 31, 2011

I think I just threw up a little ...

Here's the new company logo:


Here's the old logo:
It's always interesting when a major corporation changes its' branding. To me, it seems like a very difficult decision as its previous logo is universally known and recognized. I recently read an article, which outlined NBC/Universal's new logo. As the company was just taken over by Comcast, the company unveiled a new design for its branding. The peacock image, which has become a staple in distinguishing NBC, has been removed and replaced with a simple text. According to the article, NBC Universal’s chief executive Steve Burke told employees on Thursday that the old logo “seemed kind of busy." ... Ummmm what?

When debating on whether or not to change a company brand image and strategy, especially one that is universally known, a lot of time and energy is required to ensure that the transition fully represents the company mission. In this case, I'm absolutely disgusted at the change NBC made. It's become too simplistic, no emotion. I look at the text and I get upset. It says *nothing*. To be honest, I really did like the previous logo and can't understand the so-called "busy" comment made by Burke. It's simple and sexy, clear and concise. It conveys both aspects of NBC and Universal. Dropping both seems to make the company loose what it's known for. To me, this seems like a case of poor design as well as company strategy.